Friday, March 1, 2013

The Best Kind of Kale

Hi. So, I've decided to tell you about this new recipe I completely made up that looks and tastes delicious. The main ingredient is none other than...KALE! Yes kale. In the transition to eating very healthy I came across this food and thought "hmmm... that doesn't look very good." Kinda like eating green leather! Well, I avoided it for a time, but finally I had to face the green devil of super foods. So, I did. Guess what? It can taste pretty dang good. Who knew hey?! I discovered that you can put it in soups and stews, massage it in lemon juice - which softens it and gives it nice flavour and makes it nice for tossing into salads-, throw a bit into an omelet with peppers and onions, make kale chips, saute it/massage it with lemon juice and seasonings, aaaannd (favorite so far) saute it in coconut oil, pepper and salt. Seriously, I have found that simpler is better for kale and my taste buds to continue a good relationship. This recipe I discovered and totally made on the fly is a variation of my favorite way to make kale. Here you go!

                                       
                               The Best Kind of Kale



Kale, sunflower seeds, green onions, black eyed peas sauteed in coconut oil, sea salt, pepper, turmeric and garlic. Topped with goat cheese. So good!!

What you need:

2-3 handfuls of ripped up kale leaves (however much you want really)
1/4 - 1/2 cup pre-cooked black eyed peas
1/4 cup - 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
Handful of green onions
1-3 tbsp of plain goat cheese (again, however much you want here)
1 -2 tbsp coconut oil
3 good shakes of sea salt and pepper
1 tsp of turmeric
1 tsp of garlic

* This recipe is made according to taste so you can tweak the amounts as you choose.

Melt the coconut oil in a pan on the stove top at medium heat. Add the sunflower seeds and stir occasionally in the oil for a couple of minutes. Add the kale and stir into the coconut oil until every leaf is moist with it. Add all the other seasonings and green onions (this will depend on how cooked you want them. I prefer mine  almost raw so I added them close to the end). Then stir periodically for about 5-10 min so all the flavors can soak in and then serve! Now sprinkle some goat cheese on top and serve. Delish! So quick and easy. Seriously, I think this took me maybe 20 min including prep time (the black eyed peas were already cooked. I was just re-heating them).

Makes enough for 1 - 2 people. Depending on the appetite ;) I ate this all by myself with nothing else. So it was a meal for me.

Now go and try it! If I could overcome my qualms about kale so can you.

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment