Sunday, January 27, 2013

No eggs?!

Have you ever been about to bake something and then realized you don't have eggs? You know that feeling of dissapointment and of being stopped short when you are totally on a mission? When you have a plan, a vision, an idea, a drive to create something awesome? I do. That's why I am sharing this great tip with you: the egg substitute. It's healthy, easy and probably sitting in your kitchen right now if you are at all interested in healthy eating. It's called flaxseed. I came across this when looking for a healthier version of a baking recipe. It's genius! Often meant for vegetarians, vegans or anybody who just wants to cook less with animal products. I am none of those things but sometimes I don't have eggs and this solves my problem. Here is the recipe. I know there are others out there but this one works for me:

To replace 1 egg use 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds and 3 tbsp water or other liquid.

OR

1 tbsp whole flaxseeds and 4 tbsp water.

You want to stir this until it's very gelatinous and thick. 

I ALWAYS have flaxseeds in my kitchen so this is kind of awesome to know. Just sayin'.
So there you go! You are officially a smarter, healthier and more well rounded person in your kitchen. You're welcome. This post is great by the way: http://www.theppk.com/vegan-baking-the-post-punk-kitchen-shows-you-how/

P.S. I want to try this recipe! (see link below)

http://thesproutedlife.com/chia-almond-breakfast-shortcakes-with-strawberries-blackberries/

I have been using pinterest more for recipes etc... It rocks! I love it. Here are some of my favorites:





Here is the link to my pinterest section on food: http://pinterest.com/amberlekathryn/food/

Bon appetit!


On another note, I am moving this week. My husband got a job in Emonton, Alberta and starts orientation on Feb 4th - 7th. He flies out on Feb 2nd. I am moving home with my family in NB until he has things settled for me to go out there with him. I am not looking forward to our long absence from eachother but I can't wait to start this new life. The Maritimes has been a beautiful place to live but I am SO ready for another adventure and the freedom and independence this move will bring us. I'm excited for all of the challenges too. I will sometimes miss my ocean, the rolling hills, the market, all the neat houses I've come to love, the water front, the neat stores and art galleries I've discovered and the people, especially my family. But I will find and rediscover new loves and artistic enjoyments, make amazing friendships, explore a different beauty and enjoy a different energy and environment. I will be financially stable and free to pursue my career and interests more. I will finally get my full license and try and take up camping and hiking. I am also going to get back into/ get deeper into OOBER DOOBER SUPER HEALTHY eating and cooking. We will be free to really develop our family unit into something strong and unique, that is all it's very own, away from parents, family and family-like influences. We need to do this. For the first time in my life I am going to only do what I am passionate about and what I love. I am going to fully exercise the spirit of independence and fire inside me. I'm already starting to blossom and change. This is quite possibly going to be the best time in my life. I can feel it. It is my turn to truly dance in the sun, the way I was born to. So look out world! And please Maritimes, understand and be happy for me. I love you and you will always be a home to me. I will not look back but I will fondly remember and cherish extensive visits and vacations. I have a gypsy soul and you cannot hold me down. I know we may never fully understand each others differences; you who loves to stay and I who loves to roam. You took me in for a time and now you must share me with somewhere else. My HOME is my one-true-love and that means home can be anywhere. Love me for who I am and let me fly, for fly I must. 
This adventure will bring out the best in both of us, my husband and I, and we can't wait to start! 



No comments:

Post a Comment